Riddle of the Day
Put a new riddle up every day to solve during roll/check-in. Students worked in groups and each group compiles points, with prizes at given times of the year for groups based upon the amount of points (ie: riddles correctly solved).
I have done poetry units with Sonnets & Haikus & Free-verse, & Limmericks & of course RIDDLES! Tolkien's riddles work great - except for those well read children who shout out answers from the Hobbit since they have already read it 13 times at such a young age...
Great back-up plan lesson when the lessons provided are, well, less than quality lessons.
- Pull out the Riddle Book.
- Read some sample riddles.
- Give a quick lesson on how to write riddles.
- Students write some.
- Teacher picks good ones to try to stump the class.
- The period ends without any food fights or lost limbs.